What is Webflow?
Webflow is a cloud-based website design and development platform that allows users to create professional and responsive websites without the need for coding skills. With Webflow, users can create websites visually using a drag-and-drop interface, and then customise the design and functionality using the platform's visual editor.
Webflow was founded in 2013 and has since grown, and recently exploded, to become one of the most popular website builders on the market. The platform is used by businesses of all sizes, from small startups to large corporations, and is known for its flexibility, ease of use, and powerful features that allow for amazing websites without that amateur Squarespace/Wix look and feel.
What sets Webflow apart?
For those who do posess the development skills needed to make a Webflow website extra special, it has all of the configurations and settings you could possibly need to make an amazing front-end.
Another key feature of Webflow is its powerful CMS (content management system), which allows users to easily manage and update website content without the need for a separate CMS like WordPress or Drupal. This means that users can create custom website designs and easily manage their content all within one platform.
Webflow also offers a range of integrations with third-party tools and services, making it easy to connect your website with popular tools like Google Analytics, Mailchimp, and Shopify. This can help you streamline your workflow and improve the functionality of your website.
Why use Webflow for your next web design project?
If you're considering using Webflow for your next web design project, there are several reasons why it might be a good choice. Here are just a few:
- Customisability: With Webflow's visual editor and flexible CMS, you can create custom website designs that meet your specific needs and brand requirements.
- Ease of use: Webflow's drag-and-drop interface makes it easy to create websites without the need for coding skills, making it accessible to designers of all skill levels.
- Speed: With Webflow, you can quickly create custom website designs and deploy them to the web, reducing the time it takes to launch your website.
- Flexibility: Webflow offers a range of pricing plans and integrations, making it a flexible option that can be tailored to your specific needs and budget.
- Support: Webflow offers extensive documentation, tutorials, and a supportive community of designers and developers who can help you overcome any challenges you may face.
Webflow whilst not quite as customisable and powerful as a standalone bespoke WordPress website, is a great choice for those who have a simple, ish, website and want it to look the d's b's on the front end. My website, this very one you're looking at now, has been created in Webflow.
Why would I do that if I'm a WordPress specialist? The answer is because I don't need a super wizzy backend to my website. I simply have a portfolio, some services, a blog and an about page. If I needed to store more advanced content such as Authors, Issues, Members of the Team, etc. then I would have gone down the WordPress route.
What’s a Rich Text element?
The rich text element allows you to create and format headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, images, and video all in one place instead of having to add and format them individually. Just double-click and easily create content.
Static and dynamic content editing
A rich text element can be used with static or dynamic content. For static content, just drop it into any page and begin editing. For dynamic content, add a rich text field to any collection and then connect a rich text element to that field in the settings panel. Voila!
How to customize formatting for each rich text
Headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, figures, images, and figure captions can all be styled after a class is added to the rich text element using the "When inside of" nested selector system.